Saturday, June 14, 2008

Parlez-ing Francais

Generally, when it comes to the debate about U.S. immigrants learning English, I have a great deal of empathy for those who want to retain their native language. Language is more than the words used to communicate. It is an expression of culture and a mode through which the essence of identity and belonging are expressed. It takes a great deal of effort to learn and use a new language. However, the ability to do this also allows access to the full expression of life in a new place.

Upon our arrival in France, I was curious to discover how I would manage with the language. At one time (30 or so years ago), I was fluent, but I haven't used French much since then. Although almost everywhere we went, there were English speakers, I wanted to be able to communicate with the French in their language--rather than expecting them to be able to accommodate to mine. I wondered, if I ask a question in French, will I be able to understand the answer? I found my French was adequate for all of the basic transactions that come with travel: restaurants, hotels, and train stations. I could read and understand the descriptions on placards at tourist sites and follow the spiels of tour guides, speaking French. I enjoyed following Scripture and prayer and singing hymns in French. As our time unfolded, my vocabulary and comprehension grew, while my ability to speak seemed to diminish (maybe it was a confidence thing.) But I've lost too much grammar and syntax and the nuances required for conversation seem to be buried deep in the recesses of long-term memory. Still it is amazing how much came back. And, I found such delight in listening and noticing which words and phrases are most commonly used in everyday speech. It amused me to discover common French expressions that, when translated literaly into English have an a humorous or thought-provoking nuance...

"coupe faim", the expression for snack, literally means to "cut hunger"

"Droit d'auteur" is the way the French say "copyright." It translates "the right of the author."

In restaurants, when waiters or waitresses come to the table to take your order they say,
"Je vous ecoute," which translates, "I am listening to you."

Gift shops often carried souvenir mouse pads. In French they are called, "tapis de souris,"
or "rug of a mouse."

A speed bump is a "dos d'ane" or "back of a donkey"

To flush a toilet is "chasse d'eau," or chase with water

In an ad for yoga, there was a reference to "respirer profondement," which means "breathe deeply," but gave me quite a chuckle when I translated it it more literally: "respirate profoundly."

To have the blues or be down in the dumps is to "avoir les cafards," which translates "to have cockroaches."

To faint is to "tomber dans les pommes," or fall into the apples.

You can get into trouble when you translate too literally, so Jack found out. On the day when the train station at Lyon was jam packed with soccer fans, a railway official came through to designate where folks were to stand for various destinations. In an effort to gain clarification, Jack shouted, "Pourquoi?" - which in his rudimentary, literally translated French meant "For what?" (Destination) However, Pourquoi is actually the French word for "Why?" So when the train official said stand here and Jack said, "Why?" she thought she was being challenged. Not a pretty picture, until we explained the miscommunication.

Many Europeans have at least one language other than their native language. We overheard an American business man declare that he gets along well in France, as long as they provide a good English translator. I wonder if he's ever considered learning French? Yes, it is important to retain the use of one's native language. However, much can be gained by learning and using the language of the places one lives and moves and conducts one's life and business. Everywhere we went, folks sized us up as an American family, looked at Lindsay and said, "Mais vous parlez bien le francais." (But you speak French so well.) Surprised, they were.

My admiration grows, for those who are able to function in a bi-lingual context. We are home now, full of memories and experiences to share. Parlez-vous francais?

Blessings to all,

Cheryl

1 comment:

JT said...

Je parle un peu. I particularly enjoyed the cochroaches. Generally, the blues are a musical form in my life but I have had an occasional meeting with Mr Roach.