Friday, June 27, 2008

Handle With Care

I have been away from the computer for a while. Just returned from a week-end at the Chesapeake Bay, where I re-connected with a group of friends that go all the way back to first grade. What a gift it is to sustain friendships over a lifetime! Also spent a couple of days in Pennsylvania, visiting with my parents. It is always good to go "home."

This morning, I began my day with a cup of coffee, sitting in the backyard with a Bible and a journal. I turned to some notes from my time in Taize. The Bible Study was centered in the first few chapters of Genesis. Led by Brother Peter, of Taize, the studies were rich in insights, fresh in perspective and followed-up with evocative questions. We were invited to read the 7 days of creation like a chronological dance into freedom, noticing the gifts that were given, as each day of creation unfolded. For instance, with the first day, as night and day/light and darkness are created, there is the gift that makes it possible to see. It is inspiring to read Genesis 1 in this way, and to contemplate the gifts that have been offered to sustain the relationship that God desires among God, the universe and humanity. Brother Peter interprets the Sabbath as God's rest, in order to contemplate the creation....and to see that it is good.

Since returning from France, we have dug ans planted a modest vegetable garden. Our yard is pretty unruly, having taken a growth spurt in our absence. Some dead trees were removed while we were away, leaving empty brown circles. The weeds are thriving. The birds are singing. The sun is shining and there is a gentle, cooling breeze. I had been dreading the task of attempting to tame the wilds, but as I was reminded of the gifts in all of this, I was brought to a sense of wonder and joy. For the next couple of hours I happily planted some flowers and pulled lots of weeds...as the unruly gardens became a playground.

Among the questions Brother Peter 'planted' with us: What is your first impression of God, in the creation? and How do we exercise our responsibility for the creation?

On Sunday, I will begin a week at Camp Whitman, where I will serve as a Volunteer Leader with a group of Sr. High Counselors-In-Training. Our summer-long theme is "Handle With Care," and draws largely from the Genesis Scriptures. (I was delighted to discover how the Taize Bible Studies and the Camp Whitman curriculum coincide). I look forward to continuing my contemplation on the gifts in God's creation...and to exploring the invitation to partnership in handling with care the network of relationships into which I have been called.

I will be without access to technology during my time at camp. I will resume blogging upon my return home, July 4th.

Blessings to all,

Cheryl

No comments: