Saturday, May 10, 2008

Blending In?!

For a little pre-travel fun and inspiration, I returned to an essay, written by Barbara Kingsolver, entitled, “Going to Japan.” In the essay, Barbara writes about her intention to learn about Japanese culture, prior to traveling there, so as to be able to ‘blend in.’ She didn’t want to commit any cultural faux-pas. She didn’t want to come across as the Ugly American.

In spite of her careful attempts to prepare, she found ‘blending in’ impossible. There were too many unknown and unwritten cultural rules. Her cultural faux-pas were many. And yet, where she was mortified, the Japanese were exceedingly forgiving.

So, I wonder if it’s not about blending in, after all. If you can’t prepare for cultural differences, you might as well accept them. I wonder what that will mean for us, in France? I am accustomed to smiling and making eye contact with strangers…not so typical, in France. I am able to use the language, at least to a limited extent….yet sometimes, I am told, it is preferable to use English than to attempt French that is less than adequate. My clothing, especially at this time of the year, features bright colors…yet Lindsay describes French wardrobes as mostly color-less. I believe I, too, can forget about blending in.

At home, my congregation will welcome a new pastor, for the Sabbatical season. What unknown and unwritten rules of the congregation’s culture will be revealed? What cultural differences will be expressed?

Accepting cultural differences, it seems to me, begins with the awareness that they exist.
To deny them or seek to gloss over them with the veneer of our common humanity can be a form of disrespect. To affirm that our common humanity is displayed through many languages, is reflected in a broad range of customs, and is conditioned by our life experiences is the beginning of learning who we are. Better to approach with awareness of self and curiosity toward others. With a ‘beginner’s mind,’ who knows what surprises may lie ahead?!

Blessings,

Cheryl

No comments: