Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Bottom Drawer


Harriet was a much beloved wife, mother, grandmother, friend. She was a member of my congregation and a former member of a neighboring Presbyterian Church, where she maintained many close ties. When Harriet died, her Memorial Service was shared by the two churches. I have received so many comments about the sermon I preached at the service, that I find myself wanting to blog about "The Bottom Drawer." The sermon and the entire Memorial Service were designed around the contents of a file, carefully saved in the bottom drawer of Harriet's desk. There, she had placed copies of favorite poems, bulletins from other Memorial Services she had attended, the names of hymns she especially liked, prayers and Scripture passages that had meaning for her. The focus Scripture passage I used for the sermon came from a meditation she wrote for her church's devotional booklet back in 1968.

Between the contents of the Bottom Drawer, the memories her family shared with me, and my own experience of this beloved church member, I had many rich resources to bring into the process of creating a sermon that would honor Harriet's life. But more than having ample material with which to work, I was struck by the resonance of the material with the life she lived.

The Scripture passage was filled with images that I could connect to the Harriet I knew. In fact, anyone who knew her could easily connect the dots between the contents of the drawer and the 'content' of her life. Someone told me that during the sermon, there were smiles, tears and times when one wanted to say, 'Yes!' Her words and deeds generally matched her values and beliefs. The life that was visible to others reflected the relationship she lived with her God.

How do you want to be remembered? Why not start a 'bottom drawer' file and fill it with bits and pieces that say something about who you are and what you have loved. Start gathering words and images and songs that capture what is sacred to you, that reflect what has been true, for you. Let the contents of your bottom drawer be a reminder of the life you wish to live. And then, with the gift of each of your remaining days, live it!

Blessings on the Way,

Cheryl

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I wasn't able to make it to Harriet's memorial service, but I can imagine the type of sermon you were able to give. It doesn't surprise me at all that Harriet kept a "bottom drawer" as that was exactly the type of person she was. What a joy it must have been to be able to celebrate that life.