Friday, September 26, 2008

Garden Gleaning

I am way overdue for a post. My intentions for a Monday morning bread-baking, blog-making routine have been difficult to establish. I did get some bread baked this week, but the blogging did not happen. So....tomorrow I am going, with some folks from my church, to Camp Whitman, where we will glean the vegetables that remain in the garden. We expect to bring back lots of tomatoes and peppers, which we will place on the Harvest Table on Sunday. The church's Harvest Table is open to community members, who are welcome to take what they want in exchange for a donation to our upcoming Hurricane Relief trip to New Orleans. Whatever produce is not purchased by the end of the day Sunday will be donated to the Ontario Food Pantry.

For any who are wondering what to do with the season's abundance of tomatoes and peppers, here is a recipe for Marinara Sauce that my mom shared with me. My freezer is bulging with containers of the sauce, which I will enjoy pulling out for a quick spaghetti meal all winter long.
This recipe is relatively quick and easy to make. The sauce is flavorful and freezes well. Enjoy

Marinara Sauce

2 cups minced onion 3-4 frying peppers
2 cloves garlic, crushed 1/4 cup olive oil

Saute onions, garlic, and peppers in oil until golden. Add tomatoes to fill Dutch oven and cook until soft. Press through food mill. Add two 12 ounce cans tomato paste, 1 cup dry red wine, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 teaspoons oregano. Heat to simmer. Makes 15 cups

Now...on to the Presidential debates. In a week that has been full of surprises, I am relieved that candidates are going forward with the debate. This is a time in which we especially need to hear what John McCain and Barack Obama have to say about the leadership they would offer our country.

Blessings to all,

Cheryl

No comments: